“It’s not the heat it’s the humidity”
Ever heard that phrase? Well, it may sound like just another complaint about the weather but it is actually a pretty astute observation. High humidity levels can do a lot to undermine your comfort, even with great temperature control.
Humidity levels between 30% to 50% are best for optimal comfort. But Mother Nature likes to kick things up a notch around here during summer. And, try as you might, some of that extra airborne moisture will get into your house. How can you combat high humidity levels and why do they make you so uncomfortable? We can answer these questions and more.
Why Humidity Makes a Hot Day Worse
Let’s start with the basics. Why exactly does high humidity make a hot day feel even hotter? Well, the answer has two parts:
- Airborne moisture holds heat. Water is quite good at holding on to heat. This is great if it is winter and you heat your home with a boiler but not so much when you have a humid house you want to cool in the summer. Excess humidity in the house can make it much harder for your AC to cool things down properly.
- Humidity makes it harder for the human body to cool itself. The other issue high humidity creates is that it makes it harder for your body to cool itself off. Specifically, this is due to the fact that it makes it harder for your body to evaporate sweat.
Do You Have Humidity Issues?
How can you tell that you have too high of a humidity level in your home? Aside from being able to feel it, here are some other indicators to look for.
- Problems with mold growth around the house.
- Visible moisture condensation on windows or walls.
- Problems with keeping the house cool no matter how long your AC runs.
- Water staining on walls or ceilings.
- Increased allergy problems triggered by mold or mildew growth.
- Musty or mildewy smells
The Best Way To Battle High Humidity Levels
The last question is the one we love to answer: How do you battle high humidity in your house? With the addition of a whole-house dehumidifier in Hart County, GA. A dehumidifier system that is installed within your ductwork with help to remove the excess moisture from the air entering your house. THis allows it to balance the humidity level in the home to achieve optimal comfort and provide a helping hand to your AC unit.
If you’ve been struggling with keeping your home cool this summer, working with a professional team like the one at JN Electrical Temperature Control, Inc can go a long way towards getting things back on track. We can provide helpful services such as dehumidification system installation to improve your indoor air quality along with all the AC services you could ever need.
Achieve the best possible comfort this summer with the help of our expert technicians.
Feel The Difference! Contact JN Electrical Temperature Control, Inc today.